Tuesday, April 10, 2018

An 8 lead 5 bight Turk's head knot..

Another knot from Tom Hall's book, "Introduction to Turk's Head Knots", an 8 part 5 bight casa knot, that I tied with gutted paracord, first around a Sharpie marker for a mandrel, then moved on to an oval shaped wood bead and dressed/tightened up.

I added the knot covered bead to a leather bootlace wrist lanyard and one of my rigging/marlinspike knives.



Knives listed clockwise from lower left:



My blog was started 13 years ago this month, and I appreciate those that take the time to visit and give it a read and browse the photos, and I'll continue to try and answer comments/questions when I can.

And I'm also glad that some folks have found an interest in knot work and edc (everyday carry) through my blog on stuff like knives, flashlights, and keychains paired with some decorative and useful wrangling of paracord, leather, and other cordage and begin to explore it further as a hobby/craft.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's been great to follow along and love your many ideas. I got into tying because of you. Keep up the awesome work!

Unknown said...

Thank you for having this site/blog. You have been an inspiration and great help for advancing my knot tying skills. Keep up the great work.

Unknown said...

When dressing up the turkshead on the bead, do you use glue to keep it from slipping off?

Stormdrane said...

I will sometimes use a coat of brush on krazy glue, which dries clear, over a knotted bead, but on this project I did not.

A small amount of the krazy glue could be applied just where the start and end strands are trimmed and tucked, if necessary.

I ran the start and end strands under and out of the knot before tightening, on this one, so it felt secure to me after dressing the knot. With the cord around the top and bottom sides of the slightly curved bead, it wouldn't slip off in either direction. Hope that helps. :)

Anonymous said...

I was wondering where you get your leather cord from? Do you have a link?

Stormdrane said...

I've bought the leather cordage I've used from multiple sources, like Hobby Lobby, Michael's craft stores, eBay, Amazon, and Walmart.

I have used leather bootlaces/shoestrings, bags of scrap leather remnants, and small spools of goatskin lace, suede leather lace, and other less expensive types of leather.

If you want really nice premium leather to work with, kangaroo lace is usually considered top of the line stuff, but can be quite expensive, so it's not something I've had to budget to work with...

Wade said...

Some really useful information here thanks for having this blog have enjoyed reading it.